March 4, 2009

Would You Wear a Cape?

New Sexuality by Solve Sunsbo

While we’ve always like the idea of capes, their structure has always been a little baffling. Even Britt, who wears hers no matter what her roommates say, finds the awkwardness of where to put your arms (no sleeves? Pseudo sleeves?) and temperature gauging for outside wear (50 degrees? Less? More?) to be a deterrent from sporting the witch-like frock.

But I think it’s about time for us to get over our fear if the Fall runways are any indication of what’s to come (and aren’t they always?). From Marc Jacobs’ bright yellow belted version, to Thakoon’s militaristic button down, I think it could be the right time to have some fun with our outerwear.
It might a good idea to start with something a little less intimidating, like Paul Smith’s simpler version. Or you could go all out and embrace the cape for what it is - a stylized version of the blanket, or, the original Snuggie - and throw it on top of your otherwise normal outfit with aplomb.(Via fashionista.com)

Antoni & Alison, Loius Vuitton (photos via style.com)

Alberta Ferretti, Akris


Aquascutum, Behnaz Sarafpour


Betty Jackson


Blugirl, Byblos


Carolina Herrera


Chanel, Charles Nolan


Christian Lacroix, Fendi


Erin Fetherston


Giambattista Valli


Giorgio Armani, Halston


Issey Miyake, Jasper Conran


Jeremy Scott, Joanna Mastroianni


Jonathan Saunders, Lela Rose


Malo, Mara Hoffman


Marc Jacobs


Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs


Nathan Jenden, Osman Yousefzada


Peter Som, Project Runway Designers


Ports 1961


Ralph Lauren, Reem Acra


Ruffian, Temperley
Sonia Rykiel


Thakoon Panichgul, Three as Four


Valentino, Y-3


Vivienne Westwood
So, would you wear a cape, darlings?
Or is this a look better left to Count Dracula impersonators?

14 comments:

textile Voltaire said...

I have two capes, but i need a good weather!! This days it´s cold yet.


kiss you

Eri said...

I love capes, but sometimes it can be difficult to find a nice one which is proportional to your shape.
I have a nice found on a charity shop.

Nemerae said...

I've a black cape and I absolutely love it!!! I bought it this winter, I'm so happy about it as trend for next winter too!! I love capes, specially in black, grey or white/cream, like the firt Louis Vuitton.
xx

stylefrontier said...

these capes look great.
i dont have a cape. it's hot here in indo so cannot wear it.
maybe i'll find one that is not too thick

Keith said...

I've never seen too many women around here wear them. I like some of these.

Couture Carrie said...

I would absolutely wear a cape, darling! I especially love capelets. My favorites of this glamorous bunch are: Alberta Ferretti, Blugirl, Charles Nolan and Jonathan Saunders. Divine post, FM!

xoxox,
CC

ilikestuff said...

Yes, I adore capes! Check out this website, where they make capes out of tweeds with reflective fibers in them (for riding your bike at night). So cute! Too bad they're very $$$$.

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/tailoredoutfits/tailored-outfits-sub5/

..... said...

I like capes, they are very good for the cold, but they aren't for me...I love the Blugirl cape :)
kisses

MISS GLITZY said...

I'd love too! My favorite are the Fendi and the Y3. I got a little black one in fur I sometimes wear as a collar. It so pretty! xoxo, MG.

Aline said...

I love capes...I have a green one that I bought recently and I have been having such a hard time figuring out where/when to wear! I was in an ebay battle for a vintage Burberry one, but lost at the last minute.

Absolutely Ladylike said...

I would wear...absolutely. Love'em!

Anonymous said...

I would wear that jasper conran cape in a hot second! pretttttyyyyy :-)

Anonymous said...

I would definitely wear a cape darling :) I really really wanna buy one :(

xoxo

Hemaly said...

I love this post soo much, because I'm curretly obsessed with capes. So thanks!